Stilz on a high as named MD of Sport at Jahn
  • Solutions
    Solutions
    Club
      CEO
      Sporting Director
      Head of Recruitment
      Loan Manager
    Agency
      Trusted Agent
  • Customers
    Customers
    Customers
      Customer stories
      Why users love us
    I have saved a lot of money this summer making 5 transfers using TransferRoom.
    Victor Orta
    Director of Football, Leeds United F.C.
  • Resources
    Resources
      TransferRoom Stories
      GBE Calculator
      Transfer Window Tracker
  • Company
    Company
      About us
      Careers

TransferRoom Stories

On the Move
Stilz on a high as named MD of Sport at Jahn
by Jonathan Rest

Roger Stilz, the Sporting Director of Waasland-Beveren, has swapped the second-tier of Belgian football for the second division in Germany, after being appointed Managing Director of Sport at SSV Jahn Regensburg.

We used a five-stage process to search for suitable candidates for the position of Managing Director Sport at Jahn... Roger Stilz made the best impression. We are convinced that because of his personality, qualifications, understanding of football and leadership, as well as his experience as a player, coach, manager and sports director, he fits in very well with SSV Jahn and the vacant areas of responsibility.
Hans Rothammer
Chairman, SSV Jahn Regensburg

Back in the Bundesliga

 

The 44-year-old had only been in the post since January, and will officially depart on November 10 after he and the Waasland-Beveren agreed to mutually terminate his contract.

 

Stilz (pictured) will begin work with SSV Jahn on December 1, returning to Germany where he previously spent four-and-a-half-years as Academy Manager at St Pauli, before which he was an Assistant Manager at both FC Nürnberg and Hamburg.

 

The Swiss executive will be responsible for all sporting matters at SSV Jahn, with the club having split the Managing Director responsibilities following the recent departure of Christian Keller. Philipp Hausner was hired last month to oversee commercial business.

 

Hans Rothammer, Chairman of the SSV Jahn board, said: “We used a five-stage process to search for suitable candidates for the position of Managing Director Sport at Jahn... Roger Stilz made the best impression. We are convinced that because of his personality, qualifications, understanding of football and leadership, as well as his experience as a player, coach, manager and sports director, he fits in very well with SSV Jahn and the vacant areas of responsibility. He knows our training and game philosophy and is able to implement, consolidate and develop it together with the coaching team.”

 

Stilz added: “In the past few weeks I have perceived all the conversations I had with those responsible at SSV Jahn as professional, honest, goal-oriented and clear. I also felt a conviction on the other side that is important for me to make such a change. I am very happy about the trust that has been placed in me and from December I would like to do my part for a successful future and further develop what already exists.”

 

Antoine Gobin, CEO of Waasland-Beveren, said of Stilz's exit: “Roger approached us recently and told us that there were both family reasons and a professional opportunity closer to his home that he wanted to pursue. We understood his situation and have accepted his request.

 

“Over the past months we have taken positive steps to professionalise and stabilise the club. I believe Roger has helped us getting started, and we will now continue working towards our goals this season and beyond.”

 

Americans take full ownership

 

The announcement of Stilz's exit from Waasland-Beveren came a day after Dirk Huyck and Olivier Swolfs sold their remaining shares in the club to majority American owners, Bolt Football Holdings.

 

Bolt acquired 97.48% of the shares in September 2020, with Chairman Huyck and Financial Director Olivier Swolfs holding the remaining 2.52%. The two will now step down as directors.

 

The American group is led by David Blitzer, Jahm Najafi and Jeff Moorad and enjoys a portfolio that includes stakes in Premier League club Crystal Palace, NBA teams Philadelphia 76ers, and the Phoenix Suns and the New Jersey Devils in the NHL.

Are you ready to streamline your transfer operations?
Talk with an expert

Trusted by 600+ clubs

ROMA
ARSENAL
CITY
LIVERPOOL
JUVE
BARCA
BENFICA
LEIPZIG
INTER-MIAMI